Posts for tag: Diabetes
What your doctor in San Antonio, TX, wants you to know
Diabetes is a disease that can easily go undetected, and yet it can impair the function of your body’s systems including the nervous, immune, and circulatory systems. It can affect your feet, causing diabetic neuropathy and even toe or foot amputations. Diabetic retinopathy is another common problem which could result in loss of sight. These are just a few of the catastrophic effects caused by diabetes.
The good news is, diabetes can be effectively managed, but you need the help of a skilled physician. Dr. Dan Hoyumpa at Texan Family Clinic in San Antonio, TX, wants to share the facts about managing your diabetes.
The first step is to diagnose diabetes with a diabetic screening. You should have your first screening at least by age 45. Your doctor will draw blood after you have fasted. This blood test measures your blood sugar levels. You may also need an A1C test which averages your blood sugar levels over an extended period of the previous 2 to 3 months.
If you do have diabetes, it can be managed by a combination of routine blood sugar testing, and medications including metformin, insulin, and others. A major part of diabetes management consists of lifestyle modifications or changes like these:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in proteins from lean meats and other low fat sources, complex carbohydrates from whole grains and leafy greens, and low in sugar
- Avoid foods and beverages with high sugar content like sodas and juices, and don't add sugar to coffee or tea
- Get plenty of exercise, at least 30 minutes each day
- Drink plenty of water, and take a snack with you in case of low blood sugar
- Routinely monitor your blood sugar levels and keep a record of them for your doctor
Diabetes can impair your body’s ability to function, which can drastically affect your quality of life. Complications from diabetes can even be fatal. Your best step is to manage your diabetes with the help of Dr. Hoyumpa.
For more information about managing diabetes and other chronic or acute diseases, call Dr. Hoyumpa at Texan Family Clinic in San Antonio, TX. Don’t wait to take control of your health. Call today!