Your family doctor in San Antonio, TX, can help you get relief from arthritis pain.
Arthritis pain can make you miserable. When you have arthritis it can make even the easiest tasks, like opening jars or tying shoelaces, a very painful experience. Arthritis can also cause you to give up your hobbies, like painting or knitting. The good news is, your family doctor can treat your arthritis and help relieve your arthritis pain.
Dr. Dan Hoyumpa at Texan Family Clinic in San Antonio, TX, offers a wide range of family medicine services, including treatment for arthritis.
One of the most common types of arthritis is osteoarthritis. It’s caused by general wear-and-tear over years, so signs and symptoms can become more pronounced as you get older.
Another type of arthritis is rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disorder. Your body begins to attack the lining of your joints. Rheumatoid arthritis has a genetic link, so if it runs in your family, there is a chance you might have it too.
You may have arthritis if you experience:
- Chronic pain in your joints
- Swelling and stiffness in your joints
- Inflammation and redness near your joints
These signs and symptoms of arthritis can make it difficult and painful to move. You may lose flexibility and range-of-motion. If the arthritis is in your feet, ankles, knees, legs, hips, or back, you may also lose mobility, which can dramatically affect your life. You may also be dealing with significant pain.
There are some simple tips you can try at home to get relief from arthritis pain. Remember to:
- Place ice packs or heat on your arthritic joints
- Keep active with low impact activities
- Rest and take the weight off of your joints
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications
For moderate to severe arthritis symptoms, you should visit your family doctor, who may recommend:
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication, which may include a corticosteroid like prednisone.
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises to help decrease stiffness and help keep you mobile.
- Splints, braces, or other devices to help relieve the stress on your joints
- In severe cases, surgery may be necessary. Types of surgery for arthritis include joint repair, joint replacement, or joint fusion.
You don’t have to suffer from arthritis pain when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of arthritis, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Hoyumpa of Texan Family Clinic in San Antonio, TX, at (210) 562-3125 today!