How your family physician in San Antonio, TX, can help with high blood pressure
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a serious medical condition. It’s called the “silent killer” for good reason—it often goes undiagnosed, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke. However, the good news is that high blood pressure can be effectively managed. Dr. Dan Hoyumpa at Texan Family Clinic in San Antonio, TX, offers several effective ways to deal with high blood pressure.
More about Treatment
Blood pressure is a measurement of blood flowing through your arteries, and if blood flow encounters resistance, your blood pressure reading will be high. This resistance is caused by the presence of plaque along your artery walls, which causes the narrowing of your arteries. High blood pressure can be caused by genetics, a diet high in fat and salt, and a myriad of other factors.
You can do a lot to manage your blood pressure, including modifying your diet and getting enough exercise. Remember to:
- Eat a healthy diet low in fat and salt
- Eat less red meat and more poultry/fish
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Limit consumption of alcohol
- Get regular exercise
- Avoid smoking
Your family physician can help manage your high blood pressure too. In addition to lifestyle and diet modifications, you may need medications. Some common medications which are prescribed to help keep blood pressure under control include:
- Diuretics, to help get rid of excess fluid
- ACE inhibitors, to relax blood vessels
- Beta Blockers, to open blood vessels, which lowers how hard your heart has to work
- Calcium channel blockers, to relax blood vessels and slow down your heart rate
High blood pressure can happen to anyone, often without any symptoms, which is why it’s important to see your family physician regularly. To find out more about managing high blood pressure and other chronic or acute medical conditions, call Dr. Dan Hoyumpa of Texan Family Clinic in San Antonio, TX, at 210-562-3387. He can help keep you healthy, so call today!