Over 34 million Americans have diabetes according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That's why proper medical care for diabetes in San Antonio, TX, is an important topic to discuss with your doctor, Dr. Dan Hoyumpa of Texan Family Clinic.
If you've been diagnosed with diabetes, then you probably know that it can affect almost every organ in your body including your eyes, heart, and nervous system.
Some complications of untreated diabetes include:
- Kidney disease
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Foot ulcers
- Nerve damage
However, you shouldn't let that scare you. Proper diabetic care from Dr. Hoyumpa can help delay the onset of diabetic complications or prevent them entirely.
Diabetic Treatment Plan
With diabetes, it's important to act fast. Early diagnosis and treatment are essential for preventing complications. Diagnosing your diabetes in San Antonio, TX, would typically occur after your lab work at Texan Family Clinic.
After your diagnosis, your doctor will develop a personalized treatment plan for your condition. This treatment plan aims to keep your blood glucose levels within the normal range. Your doctor also keeps an eye on your organs, monitoring the effect your diabetes has on them to ensure your wellness.
Aspects of Your Diabetes Care Plan
When your doctor develops an action plan for your diabetes, you'll need to follow through with it if you want to enjoy a healthy life.
Your treatment plan might involve the following:
- Check your blood glucose levels daily at home
- Assessment of your hemoglobin A1C levels with your healthcare provider every quarter
- Taking your medications such as insulin injections
- Reporting side effects of your medication to your doctor
- Learning to control your hypoglycemic episodes
- Proper diabetic foot care
- Switch to a healthy lifestyle including a diabetes-friendly diet and exercise
- Routine eye exams to check for damage
- Routine checkups at the Texan Family Clinic to assess your organ function
If you suspect that you might have high blood sugar levels or have already been diagnosed with diabetes in San Antonio, TX, call (210) 562-3125 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hoyumpa of Texan Family Clinic for immediate medical care.